While Wearing Pearls

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Reunion Dinner Part 2

The Rest of the Story.....

I'll finish with the menu items and then share a little about the weekend.

I made a Blueberry Barbecue Sauce from the blog How Sweet It Is.... our whole family and now friends love this recipe.  I highly recommend this blog and her recipes.

Now this recipe makes people that have never liked grits come back for seconds and ask for the recipe.  I got it from our local Jr. League cookbook but I have modified it.  I make it thicker and with less eggs and other stuff so I feel that it is where many love it.

Cheese Grits

6 cups of chicken or vegetable broth (I use organic)
2 cups quick grits
1 1/2 sticks butter (I know this is bad but this is a splurge dish)
1 pound cheddar cheese shredded
3 teaspoons seasoned salt (sounds like a lot but grits need the seasoning!)
1 8oz. can green chilies
2 eggs beaten
(if it seems dry you can add another egg)

Bring the broth to a boil and slowly add the grits and stir until thick.  Add all but the eggs and stir until cheese is melted.  It boils really fast and pops on you so I take it off the burner to do this.  Add the eggs when you remove the grit mixture from the burner and stir in.  Grease a 9x13 dish with butter or Pam(I use Pam).  Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to an hour depending on your oven.  This casserole is a great side dish for many menus.  Have fun with it and watch people come back for more, or call asking for the recipe.



This was really a wonderful dinner party for friends of my husbands from his college days.  The reunion was based around the college ministry that he attended.  We got to see many friends, hear amazing music and inspiring words.  The dinner party the night before the event was a great way to prepare our hearts for the weekend.


Reunions...While Wearing Pearls




No comments:

Post a Comment